Total time to cook: 40 minutes (plus 30 minutes or so to thaw the puff pastry)
Makes eight servings
1 package frozen puff pastry (should have two sheets), thawed
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Honey, for drizzling
Sea salt, for sprinkling
2 tbsp crushed hazlenuts
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lay the puff pastry sheets side-by-side on a baking sheet.
- Fold over each edge by about one inch. Prick the dough all over using a fork (don't go all the way through, though.)
- Brush the edges of the dough with the egg and sprinkle with sugar. Freeze the dough for about 15 minutes.
- Bake the puff pastry until it puffs up (hence the name!) and turns golden brown.
- Take the dough out of the oven and gently press down the center using a spatula. The edges should still be puffy.
- Sprinkle the chocolate evenly in the middle of the puff pastry squares.
- Put the pastry back in the oven for another two minutes, until the chocolate is soft. Spread the chocolate evenly and add the hazlenut pieces.
- Drizzle the centers with a little honey and sprinkle a small pinch or two of salt on top.
- Let the chocolate cool a little before cutting the pastry into four pieces.