Search

Lemony Salmon Kebabs

I know I need to eat more fish, but because I don't have easy access to good stuff, it's never at the top of my list (sorry Eastern Market fish guys, you're convenient, but pretty pricey and not amazing). This recipe for seasoned grilled kebabs caught my eye because it seemed like a good way to mask so-so salmon. I was a fan. Besides the excellent seasoning, the fish cooked right next to the lemon slices and absorbed that flavor as well. I served the kebabs with roasted radishes (trimmed and sliced in half; lightly coated with olive oil and seasoned with a little salt and pepper; roasted at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes; mixed with lemon juice before serving). 

A side note: the original recipe from Bon Appetit says you need to soak the wooden spears in water for at least an hour so they don't burn. I used a grill pan, though, so I only soaked them for about 20 minutes and they were fine.

Total time to cook: 50 minutes (including the 20 minutes to soak the wooden spears)
Makes two servings

Ingredients:
3/4 lb salmon fillet, cut into one-inch pieces
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tsp sesame seeds
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 lemon, cut into very thin slices
2 tbsp olive oil
8 wooden spears (kebab sticks...whatever you want to call them)

Steps:
- In a small bowl, mix up the spices. 
- Thread the salmon and lemon slices onto the kebabs (two sticks per kebab). I cut the pieces on the small side, so I did two pieces of salmon for every lemon slice.
- Brush the kebabs on all sides with the olive oil. Coat the salmon and lemon slices with the spice mixture.
- Heat the grill pan over medium heat. Grill the kebabs for about seven minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment