Search

Sweet Potato Chips

Thanks to a birthday gift certificate, I picked up a few new kitchen accessories over the weekend, including a mandoline. I don't use a lot of gadgets, but a mandoline has been at the top of my wish list for a while. My knife skills are okay, but there are certain recipes where being able to cut consistent, super-thin slices would be helpful (a gratin, for instance). So far I'm very impressed. It took a few tries to figure out how much pressure to apply, but then the slices of sweet potato for these chips came out beautifully. Unfortunately, it took two tries to get these chips right - the first time, I failed to adjust the recipe to account for my oven, which skews hotter than normal. The chips all burned, alas. But the second batch turned out great, nice and crispy.



Total time to cook: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
1 sweet potato, sliced paper thin
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
Steps:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix the sweet potato slices and olive oil until the slices are coated.
 - Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Arrange the sweet potato slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle one teaspoon of kosher salt across the slices evenly.
- Bake for seven minutes, flip the slices, and then bake for another seven minutes (or until the chips are crispy and just a little brown). Repeat for the second batch - I could only fit half of the chips on one sheet.
- Let cool and serve.
(Right)
(Wrong)

No comments:

Post a Comment