Search

Summer Squash Bread

It's 105 degrees outside, so naturally I thought today would be a good day to fire up the oven. Smart. But this bread is worth it, trust me. I've made zucchini bread a few times this summer and figured I could substitute summer squash since they're from the same family. Luckily, I was right - it doesn't hurt that there's chocolate, either. I don't have a big sweet tooth, but I like that it adds a little sweetness to what's otherwise a fairly savory bread. I used this recipe, but took the baking time down by a lot because my oven gets very, very hot.


Total time to cook: 1 hour

Ingredients:
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 vegetable oil
1 cup light brown sugar
1.5 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (you can use just nutmeg if you've got it)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1 cup shredded summer squash
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Steps:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan (I used some margarine wrappers that we save for greasing, you can use a spray or a small piece of margarine.)
- In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer to combine margarine, vegetable oil and sugar.
- In another bowl, mix flour, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and baking powder.
- In the wet ingredients bowl, mix in the egg.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones, going 1/2 cup at a time until it's all mixed together.
- Fold in the summer squash.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the loaf pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out cleanly.
- Cool and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment